Let’s face it: moms have busy schedules! Even though it’s important to make sure that your new addition to the family is getting the nutrients they need to thrive, it is also just as important to make sure that you are getting proper nutrition, too.
During lactation, it’s normal to require more food than usual, but given how mom’s life can be, it’s common to reach for the convenience of food supplements and shakes.
If you’re wondering whether you’re allowed to drink protein shakes while breastfeeding, the answer is yes.
Although, even though it’s possible for moms to drink protein shakes while breastfeeding, it’s important to note that not all protein shakes are going to be suitable for you. This is where we come in to lend a helping hand.
Just keep on reading to learn more about what types of protein shakes will be suitable for you while you are breastfeeding your little one.
Why Is Protein Important For Breastfeeding?
Regardless of whether you are drinking protein shakes or getting your protein from a different source, it is important to make sure that you are keeping your protein intake up while you are breastfeeding your little one.
For one, while you are breastfeeding, it’s highly likely that you are going to find yourself dealing with an increased appetite!
This is totally normal and something that all moms experience while they are lactating, and getting the recommended amount of daily protein will help you to feel full and satisfied for longer.
Plus, besides helping to make sure that you are feeling full throughout the day, getting the correct amount of protein will also support you while you are lactating.
During this time, you’re going to need to make sure that you feel strong and healthy so that you can feed your baby while also supporting yourself.
By getting the protein you need, you will be caring for your body while also helping to encourage a healthy milk supply for your baby.
The best way to ensure that you are getting all of the nutrition that you need during this time is to eat a balanced and healthy diet. This includes carbohydrates, fats, and, of course, protein.
Sometimes, it can be hard to get your daily amount of protein in, which is where the convenience of protein shakes comes into the picture.
How To Choose Suitable Protein Shakes While Breastfeeding?
Now that we know that it’s okay to drink protein shakes (and protein powder, in general) we’re sure that you’ll now be interested in learning more about how to make sure that you are choosing the protein powder that is going to be suitable for use while breastfeeding.
All that said, here are some basic things that you should look for when choosing protein powder:
- Choose a complete protein: When it comes to your protein powder, it is recommended that you pick a protein powder that will contain all of the essential 9 amino acids that both you and your baby need. Regardless of whether you are buying a powder or pre-made shakes, choosing a complete protein is best.
- Make sure it is hormone-free: While you are breastfeeding, it is important to make sure that you are opting for plant-based protein over whey-based protein, as you and your baby are already producing the optimal amount of hormones needed. In other words, you don’t need to be adding any more into the mix. Due to this, opt for plant-based protein instead of whey if possible.
- Choose protein shakes/powders that are non-GMO: This is very important to remember. When choosing a protein powder or a pre-made protein shake, you should ensure that the ingredients are organic (look for Certified Organic by USDA on the label) as well as non-GMO. This will ensure that you will have the peace of mind that the protein you are taking is organic and natural.
How To Incorporate Protein Powder Into Busy Mom Life?
Now that you know how to choose the correct protein powder that will be suitable for breastfeeding, we’re sure that you’ll be interested in learning more about how you can actually incorporate protein shakes into your everyday routine.
Let’s explore some of the best ways you can up your protein shake intake while navigating mom life below:
- Enjoy as a snack on the go: One of the easiest ways that you can incorporate protein shakes into your daily routine is by enjoying them while on the go. It’s important to make sure that you aren’t skipping any meals, regardless of how busy motherhood can be. So, for those days when you’re in a rush, make sure that you are reaching for a quick and convenient protein shake.
- Sprinkle into baked goods: If you don’t want to limit yourself to only protein shakes, why don’t you consider sprinkling them into baked goods? This is a great way to enjoy your favorite baked snacks while also making sure that you are getting all the protein you need to support both yourself and your growing baby.
- Use as fuel to support your workouts: If you want to get back into your workouts, drinking protein shakes is a great way to help fuel you through your workout, as well as to ensure that you are getting the right amount of protein for you and your baby.
The Bottom Line
There we have it, you’ve reached the end of the guide.
Just to recap all that we have spoken about above, even though it’s totally okay to drink protein shakes while breastfeeding, it’s important to make sure that you are using a protein powder that is suitable for use while breastfeeding.
By following the advice we have shared above, we’re sure you’ll be able to choose the right formula for you and your baby.
Other Articles To Read
What Is The Healthiest Shake You Can Have? – Are you curious about which shake is the healthiest you can have? If this is a question that you have, read this article to learn everything you need to know.
Best Milk For Healthy Shakes (Ingredients Explained) – There are lots of types of milk out there – but which type of milk works best for a tasty, healthy shake? Find out the best milk for health shakes right here!
Best Shakeology Flavors – Which is Your New Favorite – Are you curious about which Shakeology flavor is the best? Read this article to learn everything you need to know and more about which Shakeology is the best.