Can You Improve Your Immune System With a Cleanse?
Now more than ever, it’s imperative to have a robust immune system. Covid-19 is running rampant while other flu, cold, and diseases are among us. That leaves many people asking the common question, “How can I improve my immune system?”
For some, the answer is simple: perform a cleanse. A cleanse, which is referred to as a detox, is a buzz word that’s taken the health community by storm. It seems to be the go-to for so many ailments. Are you struggling with acne and rosacea? Consider a cleanse. Need to lose some weight or eliminate digestive issues? Do a cleanse.
But what about your immune system? Can a cleanse improve your immune system? Is it all a waste of time? The answer is quite simple. Yes, a cleanse can improve your immune system. The reason why, though, is certainly not skin deep.
If you’re looking for creative ways to improve your immune system, a cleanse might be the answer. We’re sharing why a cleanse is a powerhouse way to kick up your immunity. Furthermore, we will be sharing the top foods to add to your cleanse to enhance the immune system, too.
Why a Cleanse Can Improve Your Immune System
The unfortunate truth is that we come into contact with toxins every day. There is no way around it. Toxins like lead, cyanide, pesticides, and ethanol are everywhere. From starting your car to cleaning your kitchen countertops, you’re inhaling toxins. It’s even worse when toxins are consumed when eating our favorite snacks.
Over time, a build-up of toxins will harm your immune system. Needless to say, a weak immune system can’t do its job at fighting off infections. Most of the time, a weak immune system equates to catching a cold regularly. Some less noticeable signs include:
- Feeling tired and sluggish.
- Digestive problems, such as diarrhea, bloating, and nausea.
- Skin irritations, such as acne and rashes.
- Overall joint and muscle pain.
- Mental health issues, such as depression and anxiety.
It goes without saying that you do not want a weak immune system. But it can be hard, if not impossible, to eliminate interaction with toxins daily. The good news is, our bodies can filter some
toxins. However, sometimes the toxins can build-up quicker than they are naturally released.
When the body becomes overrun by toxins, toxicity can occur. Toxicity results in the symptoms mentioned above. How can you make sure that your body is removing toxins at a quicker, more efficient rate? A cleanse can make all of the difference. A cleanse can improve toxin elimination for a healthier, happier, and stronger body.
It All Starts With the Gut
You have likely heard people discuss gut health. However, you probably didn’t think twice about it. The stomach is solely for digesting food, right? It doesn’t have a significant impact on your overall health. Well, I hate to tell you this, but that is an entirely wrong way of thinking. The digestive system has a significant impact on your immune system.
The digestive tract works like this: breaking down food into nutrients such as amino acids and vitamins. These nutrients send to the rest of the entire body. These vital nutrients play a significant role in repairing cells and encouraging cell growth.
When you’re struggling with a digestive system that is only working at a sub-par level, disaster strikes. Food is unable to be thoroughly broken down. The body isn’t receiving the nutrients they need for functionality. In turn, the immune system weakens.
Unfortunately, digestive issues are common. This is because a lot of our diet consists of many toxins. When consumed regularly, a build-up occurs. A build-up of toxins slows and weakens the immune system.
A gut cleanse is one of the most popular types of cleanses. This is because most
people are struck with digestive issues. Plenty of people don’t go regularly. They are suffering from constipation and bloating. Others deal with diarrhea and nausea regularly. A gut cleanse can fix this.
Gut cleanses can be done in a variety of ways. Some will opt to use the elimination cleanse, in which they get rid of foods that can cause stress to the tummy. Others will opt for a juice cleanse. Still, some change their diet entirely to add more gut-friendly foods.
Some of the foods, whether consumed in a juice, smoothie, or whole regularly, include:
- Avocados – Protects liver cells and eliminates heavy metals.
- Spinach – Reduces buildup of fat, especially in the liver.
- Tomatoes – The presence of lycopene protects the liver, especially from free radical damage.
- Beets – With a high amount of phytonutrients, beats support detoxification of the liver.
- Carrots – Flavonoids found in carrots are excellent for liver support.
- Asparagus – Encourages the breakdown of toxins in the liver.
- Green, leafy vegetables – Chlorophyll encourages the elimination of toxins in the liver.
- Cauliflower and broccoli – Enhances phases 1 and 2 of detoxification and helps to flush toxins from the body.
- Apples – Helps to get rid of excess toxins.
- Nuts – Nuts are great at encouraging liver detoxification while also adding more Omega-3 fatty acids to one’s diet.
Metabolism Also Plays a Role
It is no secret that when someone thinks of metabolism, they think of weight gain and loss. When someone has a fast
metabolism, they can eat just about anything. But aside from that, metabolism plays a role in the immune system. It regulates how energy and a strong immune system needs plenty of energy.
Metabolism also has a direct impact on how quickly and efficiently the immune system reacts to infections. More specifically, it plays a role in issues involving weight. These health issues can include things like diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
Toxins are one of the culprits of a sluggish metabolism. In turn, one may feel fatigued on a regular basis. They may also suffer from excessive thirst, high blood pressure, and extra fat in the belly.
When it comes to cleansing a metabolism, it’s all about resetting and recharging. Diet plays a critical role in boosting metabolism. That’s why most cleanses will adopt the whole foods method. This method replaces processed and unhealthy foods with “real” ingredients.
A metabolism cleanse and booster will include:
- Plenty of water, making sure to get rid of sugary beverages altogether.
- Eliminating sugar and alcohol from the diet entirely.
- Eating more protein and fiber from good sources.
- Eating more vegetables, especially leafy greens.
- Consuming healthy fats.
- Keeping sodium levels to a minimum.
Balanced Hormones Are Imperative
Last but not least, hormones play a role in the immune system. The body relies on the hormone-balancing thyroid and adrenal glands. In order for the immune system to work, it needs the right levels of testosterone, progesterone, and estrogen.
When someone is struggling with a hormone imbalance, it shows in a variety of ways. For example, skin irritations such as acne and rashes. Mental health deteriorates and can cause depression and anxiety. Overall weight gain and an inability to control one’s moods are also culprits of a hormone imbalance.
Whatever issue you might be having, there’s a cleanse for that. If that’s not written as a slogan somewhere, it certainly should be! There are cleanses that can fix a hormonal balance in no time. These cleanses will incorporate five essential things:
- Avoid plastic. Someone suffering from a hormonal imbalance needs to ditch plastic right away. Plastics can contain BPA or BPS (or both). These chemicals throw off natural estrogen. Switch to using glass or stainless steel products.
- Choose natural products. Whether it’s makeup or household cleaning products, go for the organic and all-natural options. These will not contain any harmful ingredients (watch out for parabens and phthalates) that could be causing an imbalance.
- Switch to a healthier, organic diet. Some people might not choose organic because it’s pricier. Well, it’s pricier for a reason. Organic produce and meats won’t contain any harmful chemicals.
- Consider supplements. Diindolylmethane (DIM), B-Complex (eight B-vitamins), iodine, and Omega-3s are superior for balancing hormones. In conjunction with an organic diet and organic products, hormones should balance swiftly.
Best Cleanse for Improving the Immune System
By now, you understand that the immune system is impacted by toxins. These toxins can have a harmful impact on the get, metabolism, and hormones. All of these are necessary for a strong immune system. But what should you do more specifically? Should you do all of the above-mentioned cleanses?
The simple answer is yes. If you are looking to make a real change to your immune system, then you need to cleanse your gut and boost your metabolism. You also need to make sure that your hormones are balanced.
Someone who wants to completely reset their body may consider going on a juice cleanse for a few days. This is a strict and impactful way to recharge the immune system. You should utilize the foods listed above.
However, more so, there should be a full diet change. After the initial strict cleanse is over, you can move on to a more lenient – yet still effective – lifestyle. For example, you should work to remove processed foods and chemically-enhanced products from your life. Add more gut-healthy foods to your diet. Drink more water!
Add Immune-Boosting Foods to Your Diet
Whether you’re adopting the whole foods cleanse or going on a strict juice fast, one thing is for sure: don’t forget to consume enough immune-boosting foods during the process. These foods will ensure that your immune system is on the path to success. These foods will work conjointly with the rest of the cleansing method to create a powerhouse within the body.
However, these foods should be added to a diet regularly – not just during a cleanse. You should also load up on these ingredients during the cold and flu seasons. This is especially true for right now, when we are dealing with Covid-19 which has impacted the world.
With that said, let’s take at the top 20 foods for immune health:
- Berries – elderberry, Acai berries, strawberries.
- Citrus fruits – grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, and lemons.
- Green tea
- Red bell peppers
- Shellfish – oysters, crab, lobster, mussels.
- Sunflower seeds
- Sweet Potato
- Yogurt – opt for plain Greek yogurt.
A Few More Tips for Success
It’s not just about the food, although the food is the main part of a cleanse. You should also consider the following:
- Make sure you’re getting a good night’s sleep. Enough quality sleep will keep your immune system strong.
- Don’t skip out on exercise. Moderate exercise a few times a week is necessary. Not only does it keep weight down, but it also encourages the regeneration of immune cells.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- Avoid smoking.
- Keep stress levels low. Stress is going to happen in life, but it’s important to combat it right away. Stress has a negative impact on overall health. It is linked to inflammation, which damages the immune system.
Performing a cleanse is an excellent way to rev up your immune system to a superior strength. That is because a cleanse improves gut health, boosts metabolism, and balances hormones. These are all necessary for a strong immune system. So, now that you have the tools for success, you can take on any sickness that comes your way.
Thank you for reading and please leave your comments or questions below.