Antioxidants and Benefits
Antioxidants are the most discussed topic in the world of health. Though the topic has quite recently evolved and is the most hyped up topic everywhere. You can find the presence of antioxidants while you are discussing beauty, diet, and even lifestyle.
But what are antioxidants and how does it benefit human health? We will discuss this and answer these questions. By the end, you will be well aware of the basic facts of antioxidants.
Basically, antioxidants fight free radicals and help in preventing numerous deadly diseases. You can call them the “Superman” of your system. Our body produces some antioxidants but mostly we must obtain these from a balanced diet.
What Good Are Antioxidants
As per the name, antioxidants are any substance that causes oxidation and fights in potentially damaging oxidizing agents inside a living being. These oxidizing agents are called free radicals. Whereas, these are molecules produced when the body is involved in breaking down food or when it is exposed to toxins, pollutants or radiations.
Our cells are protected by antioxidants from the major damage caused by free radicals. Moreover, antioxidants are even called as watchful protectors. They are the guards of our system and protect it from foreign invaders day in and day out.
How Do Free Radicals Enter Our Body
There are many sources through which the free radicals enter our body. One of the prominent one amid all of them is exposure to environmental toxins. The exposure dramatically increases the level of free radicals. However, sometimes it is so high that even if the system finds it hard to fight on its own. Our body is capable of handling up to a certain amount, but if the amount is large enough, it can cause premature aging and diseases.
Where can you find free radicals:
- Alcohol and cigarette smoke
- Household chemicals
- Tap water
- Exposure to cold and heat
- Tea and coffee
- Saturated fat and hydrogenated fat
- Medications and drug
- Chemotherapy or radiation exposure
- Refined foods
- Preserved foods
- Junk foods
What Are Some Natural Antioxidants
We are very lucky that there are nutritional approaches that will protect our body from free radical damages. As mentioned earlier antioxidants are produced by our body and these antioxidants produced by our system will not be enough t tackle the free radical that attacks us on a daily basis.
It is essential to obtain antioxidants from other natural sources to fight against free radicals. Antioxidants are found in plant-based foods and they are nature’s free radical fighters. Eating fruits and vegetables without removing their skin will help in producing more quality antioxidants.
On the other hand, organic foods are high in antioxidants, rich in nutrients and full of taste. Do not forget the fact that no matter how cautious you are about your lifestyle; the free radicals will find a way of entering your body. Therefore, it is very important that you fill your plates with antioxidant-rich foods. Bear in mind that the more antioxidant your body gets, the more defensive your system will be toward free radicals.
Heath Benefits of Antioxidants
Antioxidants are well-known for fighting free radicals but this is not the end of their benefits. There is a lot more to them. Here is a list of some health benefits of antioxidants.
- Boost Cardiovascular Health: Not every antioxidant is responsible for improving cardiovascular health, but there are some. Such as vitamin C, vitamin E, zinc, copper, and selenium are effective antioxidants that have cardio protective activity. Studies have shown that regular intake of Vitamin C can reduce the risk of strokes by 50 percent.
- Helps In Arthritis Treatment: You can get relief from the arthritis pain and clinical symptoms if your system acquires the right amount of antioxidants. The main reason behind this is the anti-inflammatory properties that antioxidant inhabits. The Arthritis Foundation has even acknowledged the importance of antioxidants. Vitamin C from fruits and Anthocyanins in berries can help fight against symptoms of arthritis and free radicals.
- Helps in Preventing Cancer: Free radicals are the significant cause of cancer. As antioxidants are natural fighters of free radicals, it helps in reducing the risk of cancer. The dietary antioxidants can even help in treating cancer and this is been certified by The National Cancer Institute. A medical study has stated that the total antioxidant status decline during cancer treatment. During this time antioxidant supplements lay a major role in the treatment process.
- Improves Vision: A good amount of antioxidant vitamins can help in preventing age-related vision problems. A study by the American Optometric Association states that antioxidant vitamins like C and E can reduce cataract problem in three years. Zeaxanthin and lutein are some antioxidants that help in resolving age-related vision issues. On the other hand, Vitamin A nourishes and even protects the retina as well as other parts of the eye.
- Improves Immunity: One of the major advantages of antioxidants is enhancing immunity. Consumption of more fruits and vegetables will boost your immunity and promote good health. A report by the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition states that the right intake of antioxidants protects the immune system and elevates healthy aging. Antioxidants even help to treat weak immune problems such as bronchial infection and cold.
- Good for Kidney Health:
Various studies have shown that antioxidant supplements help in slowing down damages caused by chronic kidney diseases. It is beneficial for people who are on the process of dialysis.
- Benefits Bodybuilders:
Antioxidants maximized the training effects of exercise. They even help you to deal with the stress of exercise. On the other hand, antioxidant helps in healing minor injuries that are caused due to an intense workout. An antioxidant such as Vitamin C can help in tissue repair.
It is very important to take in the right amount of antioxidant. You must always focus on eating fresh fruits and veggies as well as whole foods that are rich in antioxidants on a daily basis. Moreover, always thank your body for producing antioxidants that help to kick out the free radicals.
Final Thoughts On Antioxidants
We have discussed the basics on antioxidants and some of their benefits. This should give you a better understanding of what they are and why they are important in our daily lives.
I always recommend that before starting any diet, especially one that will change your eating habits or if you have a medical condition, to consult your doctor first. They may say sure try this or they may give you reasons not to.
Please leave your comments and questions below and thank you for reading.